Henri Cartier-Bresson, Teddy Boys on Oxford Street, c. 1955
Born in Chanteloup, Cartier-Bresson started painting in 1923 and began to photograph in 1931. After a trip to the Ivory Coast he discovered the Leica, since then his camera of choice. He pursued his photographic career in Eastern Europe and Mexico, later on making films with Jean Renoir, Jacques Becker and André Zvoboda and a documentary on Republican Spain (1937). In 1940 he made portraits of artists: Matisse, Rouault, Braque, Bonnard. In 1945 he photographed and covered the liberation of Paris with a group of professional journalists before filming the 1946 documentary "Le Retour" (The Return). In 1947 he founded Magnum Photos with Bill Vandivert, Robert Capa, George Rodger and David Seymour "Chim", then spent three years in India, Burma, Pakistan, Indonesia and China. In 1952 he returned to Europe and in 1954 was the first foreign photographer admitted into the USSR. He subsequently travelled to China, Cuba in the 1960s, Mexico, Canada, the USA, India and Japan among other countries. In 1968 he began to curtail his photography and follow his passion for drawing and painting. Best known for his concept of the "decisive moment" in photography, Cartier-Bresson is the recipient of an extraordinary number of prizes, awards and honorary doctorates, among which the Overseas Press Club of America Award (1948, 1954, 1960, 1964), and The A.S.M.P. Award (1953).